RESOLVED Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or...

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by gpapajoe, May 10, 2016.

1. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

Here is a recent snippet from my server log:

===
    [08:40:30] [Server thread/INFO]: There are 0/20 players online:
    [08:40:30] [Server thread/INFO]:
    [08:50:29] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2167ms behind, skipping 43 tick(s)
    [09:00:30] [Server thread/INFO]: There are 0/20 players online:
    ===

I have occasionally seen that warning appear during server startup, but I think this is the first time I have seen it happen while the server is essentially idle. I do not really care what caused it, but I would like to know whether I need to be concerned and/or do anything in relation to it. And so...

Question: Is there any need for me to be concerned there? y/n

If not, I will just move on along with my plan for today, and if so, then what should I do?

note: I have a cron set to "Restart every five hours (breaking the 24-hour cycle daily) if empty."

Many thanks.

2. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

Can you please do a timings test and also restart your server and supply us a Console feed for the Start log via www.pastebin.com

To do a timings test do /timings on

Then 5 mins after do /timings paste.

3. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

This kind of thing is new to me, but I will certainly try to do as you have asked.

It looks like I do not have an option for /timings paste...

===
    10.05 13:48:21 [Server] INFO Usage: /timings <reset|merged|separate>
    10.05 13:47:55 [Server] WARN Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2079ms behind, skipping 41 tick(s)
    10.05 13:47:52 [Server] Startup Done (17.241s)! For help, type "help" or "?"
    10.05 13:47:52 [Server] INFO Server permissions file permissions.yml is empty, ignoring it
    ===

So, please tell me whether a copy of the log after the next five-or-so minutes will be of any use here.

note: I did do a /timings reset just prior to the above.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

This meaning you are using Bukkit and not Spigot.

Can you do /timing merged
    Then in Ftp Files Access open the timings folder and send the latest one via copy/paste into www.pastebin.com.

Yes a start log will still be helpful.

5. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

6. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

7. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

I will do that in a few minutes
    It actually seems to be increasing, so I will do that in a few minutes.

Many thanks!

8. Firestar311

Firestar311 Well-Known Member

Another way to see if you need to worry is is you have essentials installed issue the /tps command. You will get a number and depending on the number you should take appropriate action
    0-10: You either have too many plugins for how much ram that you have. Try removing the plugins and restart the server. Issue the command again and if the problem persists: Contact support. Another option is to upgrade the server by one or more plan
    11-15: This is relatively good. Try to remove a few plugins or upgrade the server to the next plan or contact support
    15-20: 20 being the max, this is considered good for a server. There is no need to worry about the warning in console

9. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

If you have a moment, maybe tell me just a little more of whatever you might know about Essentials. I currently have only two plugins...
    : Multiworld
    : AdvancedPortals
    ...and I do not plan to add any more that are not absolutely necessary for what I am trying to do.

So in other words, I would assume my I-only-have-two plugins are not the problem here. Nevertheless, I might add Essentials just to take a look at what you have mentioned if Essentials is not going to add any server overhead in the background by being present for the sole purpose of my being able to issue the /tps command.

10. Firestar311

Before I continue. Can you tell me which plan your server is running? I do not think that it is a plugin issue at this point due to the fact that you only have 2 plugins installed. If you would like more information on Essentials please visit the SpigotMC EssentialsX thread here. If you have any more questions or would like me to explain essentials myself, feel free to tag or quote this post so that I get a notification.

Thanks - Firestar311

11. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

I have a support ticket going at the moment in relation to 'Can't keep up!' and here is the essence of my secondary question there:

===
    I was getting those ['Can't keep up!'] reports on my very first day here at McPro while having only [the McPro] 'Homestead' world installed and activated. So if even just having Homestead loaded while on the Grass plan is enough to trigger 'Can't keep up!' at the server [and with only one player (myself) present], please tell me so and that will resolve my question here and I will deal with whatever I have.
    ===

Many thanks for your kind interest and willingness to help!

12. Firestar311

As long as you are not getting block place/block break lag you should be fine. If you are, see what MCPH says via support ticket. It might also help MCPH if you could provide the server TPS via the essentials command. You can always uninstall essentials when you are done. To answer an earlier question about server overhead, essentials does not require much server resources as it's main functionality is commands like home warp spawn setspawn tps etc...

13. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

So then, and since I did just now install PermissionsEX*, the Essentials plugin and the PermissionsEX plugin would not overlap or conflict with each other?
    *note: I am running Bukkit version 1.9.2 rather than Spigot because I prefer its hands-off approach to certain things I want to manage differently.

14. Firestar311

Essentials is a plugin that in order to be used by other players that are not opped, requires a Permissions Plugin, the best that I can think of is PermsEX. You are fine with both of those installed.

Wait... There is Bukkit for 1.9?!?! I thought Spigot replaced Bukkit.

15. gpapajoe

gpapajoe Member

This has actually been quite a day for me on my gpapa learning curve. Not only is there 'Bukkit for 1.9?!?!', but I have just (intentionally) 'nuked' everything at my Control Panel while installing Bukkit for 1.9.4.

I currently have PermissionsEx-1.23.4 installed, but I have yet to go to it and begin any of that setup. At the moment I am just getting my additional worlds back into place while doing things in more of what I now believe is a right way...and I am already quite certain that will eliminate at least *most* of my server's "Can't keep up!" struggles.

Update:
    This one can be marked "Resolved" or whatever. I have learned I can have as many worlds as I wish and then use Multiworld to load/unload them as needed or wanted, but I had not known the server will autoload all worlds appearing at its Control Panel's 'Remove / Add World' selector. So, I now have only one world available there.

Loading a third world by using Multiworld from within Minecraft can cause a "Can't keep up!" error, but a restart at that point will reload all worlds currently loaded without any "Can't keep up!" notice showing up...and we can live with that just fine. I actually have five worlds loaded at the moment and the server is not having any problem at all.

So, learning curve negotiated and survived!

#15 gpapajoe, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1