GroupManager configuration tutorial!

Discussion in 'Mods & Plugins' started by MCPH-Joseph, Sep 12, 2013.

?

Did you find this helpful?

1. Yes, thanks Joseph!

50.0%
  2. No, make it more simple!

50.0%
  1. MCPH-Joseph

MCPH-Joseph MCPH Staff

Best Answers:
    Hello guys,

Here with my first tutorial on the forums for server staff who are looking to create their own ranks in Minecraft.

I am going to create a simple step-by-step guide which will run you through everything.

Steps:
    1- Download Notepad++ for windows, click here or TextWrangler for MAC, click here.

PRO TIP: Never use the TAB button when editing a .YML file, always use space for indentation.

2- Use FileZilla to access your server files, you can find your FTP details under "FTP File Access" on your Multicraft panel.

[​IMG]

You have to enter them here:
    [​IMG]

3- Navigate to the /plugins/GroupManager folder, choose your world folder and edit the groups.yml. Make sure that it opens in Notepad++ or TextWrangler.

4- If you're using NotePad++, click on Settings on the top Menu Bar, then go to Preferences, click Language Menu/Tab Settings and check the box "Replace by space" for TABS.
    [​IMG]

5- Your groups.yml unedited should look like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Let's cover some of the basics.
    Default: - This is the name of the group, it also has to be properly indented or it will not work.
    default: true - This means that the rank will be given to the new players, other ranks such as VIP or staff should have it set to false.
    permissions: - This is where the permission nodes begin.

Permission nodes should be indented correctly like this:
    permissions:
    - this.is.a.permission.node

Remember to only use SPACES when editing a .YML file.

inheritance: - This is the permissions that the group will inherit.
    Code:
        - g:groupmanager_default - This is a pre-compiled default for GroupManager commands.
        - g:bukkit_default - This is a pre-compiled default for Bukkit commands.
        - g:essentials_default - This is a pre-compiled default for Essentials commands.
        - g:towny_default - This is a pre-compiled default for Towny commands.

I suggest you keep the Bukkit and Essentials defaults.

Now we begin with the group info:
    Code:
        info:
          prefix: '&e' - This is what will be shown before their username
          build: false - They are automatically not allowed to build, you will want to change this to true.
          suffix: '' - It's not recommended that you edit the suffix.

Now I am going to create a basic Member group to show you as an example:

Code:
      Member:
        default: true
        permissions:
        - node.1
        - node.2
        - node.3
        - node.4
        - -node.127
        inheritance:
        - g:essentials_builder
        - g:towny_builder
        info:
          prefix: '&e[Member]'
          build: true
          suffix: ''

As you see, the last permission node as a minus infront if "- -node.127", this denies the person access to that permission, for example, if you don't want someone to have access to /spawn you would use this:
    - -essentials.spawn

If you have further questions then feel free to post below, I will be glad to help you!

#1 MCPH-Joseph, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    <3 Joseph for this. GroupManager is quite frankly the best plugin for any server, along with Essentials. No matter what kind of server you are running, it's always best having GM. But it can be a little tedious setting up. This guide should solve just about anything there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MCPH-Joseph

MCPH-Joseph MCPH Staff

Best Answers:
    People seem to request help for it, yet after some practice it's an extremely easy plugin...

It's also extremely useful.

4. XavierArmstrong

XavierArmstrong New Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for having such a clear tutorial as I couldn't find one when I had to set mine up, so I just had to play around with if for quite sometime till I got it working but now you have saved people who are just starting a good deal of confusion and possible frustration!

5. Phstuff

Phstuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am also familiar with groupmanager, so you can pm me for help with groupmanager. Thanks for the tutorial as well :)

6. Danglelangle

Danglelangle New Member

Best Answers:
    Im still having problems with the permissions, my default group aka member group, they cant access items. they cant hold them when they do they get moved out of there inventory and disappears. I have build set to true but im not sure whats going on. in the wilderness they cant break the ground or mine or anything either..and they cant pick up items that someone drops for them. one other thing. when im opped and in survival mode the mobs attack me. but wen im not opped and in survival mode they walk up to me and just stand there.. so the game seems to run fine if im opped but I don't want to op all the players any suggestions?

#6 Danglelangle, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. UNST3RBLICH

UNST3RBLICH Active Member

Best Answers:
    Recommend making a thread here, and posting your GM groups.yml + a list of plugins you are running.

8. Phstuff

Phstuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.