I Can't Connect to my Friends Server

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Lumela, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Lumela

Lumela New Member

I recently got a new internet router. Before I got it, I could join my friend's server that is run by mcprohosting. Now that I got the new internet router, I can't join his server, I can only join other servers.

Whenever I try to connect to it, it just says java.net.connectexception connection timed out no further information. The server runs on 1.8 and I can't join it with 1.8.8 and any other versions.

I have tried reinstalling Minecraft, restarting my internet router, messing around with my firewall but nothing works.

Please somebody help, I just want to play with my friends ;-;

2. jacksharkben

jacksharkben Well-Known Member

See if he can restart the server and see if that will work

3. Ellie

Ellie Active Member

Are you using a sub-domain? If so make sure there is no spaces before the host (thisIsTheHost.mcpro.eu). Same with the ip, check you have no additional spaces. ;)

~DomThePotato

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lumela

Lumela New Member

He already tried that twice and still it doesn't work.

5. Lumela

Lumela New Member

The ip for the server is something like this 154.748.383.29:51189. I tried connecting to the sub-domain but that didn't work either.

6. Ellie

Ellie Active Member

There is an additional space at the start of the ip you provided. Was this just a spelling typo?

Also I tried connecting to ip provided and it was instantly: cannot connect. Are you sure you're using the correct ip or was that just a fake ip for privacy?

~DomThePotato

7. Lumela

Lumela New Member

Yeah that was a spelling typo, that was also a fake ip.

8. Ellie

Ellie Active Member

Right ok, so basically the error means you are failing to connect to anything,the ip your directing to is non existent. So we cannot assist you as this is usually human error. All I can say is check for any additional spaces and good luck :)

~DomThePotato

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Helper

Helper New Member

@Lumela Hello;

@DomThePotato has apparently stated that the error message you're getting means the host is non-existent, when thats not the case. Below are the two DIFFERENT error messages with two different meanings, and heres the solution;

Error MSG 1: "java.net.connectexception connection timed out no further information."
    *To solve this, you've either been given a wrong IP that EXISTS somewhere, or made a typo somewhere in the IP, however for this message the IP MUST exist. Secondly, this may mean that your friends server is closed / offline, this means their server isnt avaliable for connection; this may also be a result of an unpaid invoice.

Error MSG 2: "Unknown Host"
    *Now this one is where the host / IP is non-existent. If you're getting this you've been given an IP that no longer exists / never existed, or you've made a typo and inputted an IP that dosnt exist.

The java.net.connectexception connection timed out no further information. message simply means theres nothing on you're end, so theres no problems with your router, however its still a good idea to check your firewall settings in your hub administration settings. (Not Windows Firewall)

10. Ellie

Ellie Active Member

You essentially reiterated what I wrote just in more detail. If you try to connect to something with incorrect data then you will get the incorrect output which in this case I do believe @Lumela has inputted the incorrect ip or as you said perhaps the server was down but we have already confirmed this is not the case.

A host is the host not the ip, the host just points to a certain area on the ip and when a computer sends a packet it will be redirected to wherever the host is pointing to. (Armature)

Open to criticism.

~DomThePotato

#10 Ellie, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. Helper

Helper New Member

You're last comment about hosts and IP's. I know they're not the same, I was pointing out that if the IP OR the HOST were non-existent you'd get that error message.