PENDING Not Using All My Ram

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Will_thebuilder, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Will_thebuilder

Will_thebuilder New Member

Best Answers:
    Name of the game: Space Witches (custom modpack no official support)

When did the problem start to happen: When I switched to a custom pack

What the problem is: I have Prime, which comes with 4 gigs of ram but the control panel says that just under 1gb is being used.

More info (optional):
    I really just want to know how to increase the ram that's being used, I tried adding a custom .bat file but that didn't get recognized as a valid server version.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

Best Answers:
    Hey Will_thebuilder,
    It is best not to aim at hitting the 4gb on your server as if the server goes over this the server will crash due to Out Of Memory. If the server has used 1gb out of the 4gb leaving Avg=3gb allowing the server to use more as the world grows as players explore.

Hope this clears this up for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Will_thebuilder

Best Answers:
    The server hasn't crashed yet but it's very choppy and has a lot of block lag even when there's just one to two people on (the max so far) I guess what I meant was I want to know what I have to do to give it access to all 4gb because clearly it doesn't, or why else would it limit it self?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. jacksharkben

jacksharkben Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many mods do you have.

5. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

Best Answers:
    The server already will have access to 4gb. Sad to say you can't make a server run at 4gb (Not that you would like it to as it will crash) it takes what it needs out of the 4gb. Edittng the .bat to 4gb only allows it to run up to 4gb.

Same as a PC ram you can see below that i have 15.9GB be the computer is using 4.4GB because it needs to. This will be the same. If you getting block lag this is a sign that you TPS is low or a mode is cause some lag or many other things.
    [​IMG]

With servers that use Bukkit or Spigot a timing report it the best tool to find lag and where it is coming from. But with modded servers such as Forge i don't think timing reports are possible.
    Possible depending on your server version try Opis mod and see if this helps. You may have to youtube how to use it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. jacksharkben

jacksharkben Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How can you have max 18.3 GB of ram and and still have 2 more slots open. My god.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

Best Answers:
    18.3GB is just a committed. What you need to be looking at is the 16GB DDR3 2 slots used.

8. Will_thebuilder

Best Answers:
    Sorry, had to get off but I have about 50 mods I would say. I'm sure it's not the pack itself because it's largely just a watered down AOTB with a few other mods added. However it was previously AOTB and that had no lag (except when doing a ridiculous amount of chunk loading) I'd assume it has to do with forge itself by default only being allowed 1gb, any way I can fix this easily or edit some file in the FTP?

9. ChrisC

ChrisC Forum Moderator

Best Answers:
    I recommend checking all you mods versions and see if they support your version of forge. If you stop and clear console, then start your server is there any errors. If so best temporary disable or remove the mod and see how it runs.

10. Kieraaaan

Kieraaaan New Member

Best Answers:
    Increasing the RAM being used is impossible to do. You want RAM to be running at it's lowest so then you don't run out, if only 1GB of RAM is being used for you then that is how much the server is using, you can't change that.

The only thing causing block lag would be your connection. Make sure you have chosen the host nearest to you so you get optimal performance, if you would like to change your host location then please create a ticket in the Client Area.