TUTORIAL Permissionsex (And Chat Manager)

Discussion in 'Community Knowledgebase' started by Kait18, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kait18

Kait18 Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, Permissionsex is my favorite permissions plugin. I've been using it for a long time, and its easy to use. Everyone should try it out. In this guide I will show you how to set up, Permissionsex, Chatmanager and Modifyworld, and how to code your permissions. I will also Include the permissions of this plugins at the end of the guide.

Before starting, I recommend having the program notepad++ If you are going to code the permissions manually, although Its not really needed, but It makes the coding easier.

Anyway, first enter your control panel, and go Into "Files", then "Bukget Plugins". Search for "Permissionsex", and you should find it there. It should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now, Install it, and start your server. Then stop the server, and access your files Via FTP. Now you should see 3 new Folders, "Chatmanager", "Permissionsex" and "Modifyworld". You won't need to touch The Modifyworld folder.

Now,open the Chat manager config, and set enable to "True". Otherwise you won't be able to see the prefixes. My Chatmanager config looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now save chat manager, close it, and turn the server on. You can either code the permissions yourself, or you can set your permissions up with commands in the console. I will cover both of these. First, lets go with the setup using commands. You might also want to look at the wiki.

First, think of all the ranks you will want. Now type in the console (if its not in the console, type the "/"):

pex group <rank name> create

Do this for all of the groups you want to create. Create owner rank for yourself, and now we will set all your players in their ranks, by doing in the console (same as before):

pex user <player name> group set <rank>

Do this for all of your players.

Now, lets add the permissions. First, you may be asking, is there a permission node to give you every permission? Well yes there is. It is '*' . I recommend you to add it only to the owner rank, and also not to give anyone this rank. In my server admins had this node, which let them use everything, and because of this I got griefed many times. Anyway, now you may also be asking, where do I find the permission nodes for my plugins? They should be in their respective pages. Now type in the console:

pex group <rank> add <permission node>

For people to be able to build, add the modifyworld.* node and if you have essentials, the essentials.build node.

Add permissions for every rank, and you must choose which node you should give to a rank. Also, I must mention Inheritance. Inheritance lets a rank inherit all the permissions another rank has. To do this, you must type in the console:

pex group <group to receive inheritance> parents set <group>

Now, if you want to negate a permission to a rank, make sure to include - before the node. Now lets set up the ranks in order. 1 is the highest rank, and the higher the number, the lower is the rank. For example:

pex group guests set rank 1000

pex group admins set rank 1

Do this with all the other ranks, in the order you want. Now the last thing I will cover, prefixes and Suffixes. You can add prefixes by doing:

pex group <rank> prefix "<text you want>"

remember to include the quotation marks! And you can also add Color Codes! Now lets do the suffixes. Its actually the same, as you can do:

pex group <rank> suffix "<text you want>"

Now, here is how you can set them up by coding. Open the file in notepad++ and remove everything except "groups:". Now press enter (for another line), leave two spaces (Never use tabs) and write the name of the rank. Now leave 4 spaces (In a new line) and write:
    Default: <true or false>
    Do not include the <>! Now lets add the permissions in a new line, it should look like this:
    Permissions:
    Then list the nodes with a - and a space before it. Make sure to make them in a new line with four spaces before as well. Now you can add the prefixes in the same way as default, but make sure to include ''!!! now add options at the bottom, with four spaces before, in the same way as permissions, and add:
    leaving 6 spaces in a new line. Sorry if it sounds confusing, but I don't know how to explain it. Anyway, this is how the format should look like:
    Code:
    groups:
      guests:
        default: true
        prefix: '&f[Guest] '
        permissions:
        - modifyworld.*
        options:
    Do the same as with guests for the other rank, and assign the groups via console. Then you're done!
    then update your permissions file on your server, and type in the console:
    pex reload
    Now you should have your permissions set up.

Commands and Permissions are found in here.

Hope I helped!

#1 Kait18, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KitPVP-Ultimate

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much, after this tutorial, ill try to make my ranks at PermissionsEX

3. Kait18

Kait18 Member

Best Answers:
    If you need some help, feel free to PM me :D

4. tapooll

tapooll New Member

Best Answers:
    help. when i install pex to my server it does not show up! example: if i do /pex it should give me the version number but it doesnt!
    when i have tried in my own computers server it works! but in here it does not!

5. Phstuff

Phstuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you using buk-get?

6. Zlasher

Zlasher New Member

Best Answers:
    So I downloaded the PermissionsEx, but I didn't get a ModifyWorld or ChatManager. I decided to just follow everything else you did, and it all works except for the prefixes. They just pop up as [16:12]. Any clue how to fix this?

7. Erik

Erik New Member

Best Answers:
  8. Derek Jenkins

Derek Jenkins Member

Best Answers:
    You can view my updated PermissionsEx tutorial HERE

9. phineas3000mc

phineas3000mc New Member

Best Answers:
    Me too! Practically the only thing that I wanted PEx for was the Prefixes. :L Please halp meh!