PENDING Server cant keep up, lots of lag and crashing

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by alterheld, Jun 1, 2019.

1. alterheld

alterheld New Member

"[Server] Server thread/WARN Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 42109ms or 842 ticks behind"

Error continues to appear in console - not only when people join, but as they play. Only 2 people connected on the server.

While me and my wife are playing, we get continued lag and rubber banding. Shortly after both of join, we timeout.

Problem happens with spigot 1.14.2, vanilla 1.13.2 - haven't tested in other versions of MC. I've tried it without plugins and after following several guides for "optimizing" spigot server settings.

Unplayable, please help.

2. Kevin L

Kevin L Support Coordinator
    Administrator

Hey Alterheld!

We would love to investigate this further!
    Our team knows many ways to help with the specific lag in 1.14 as there is a big optimization issue in 1.14 that causes server lag.

Please reach out to our Live Chat team that is currently active(they're online from 9AM EST to 1AM EST) and we can ensure these issues are resolved!

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.

3. corn

corn New Member

i have been having a problem with this on my villager plan. to temporarily fix this do i just transfer to 1.13.2 while its getting optimized?

4. Kevin L

Administrator

Hey corn!

I would recommend considering 1.13.2, although, there are ways to help with 1.14.
    The Spigot server type is one of them as not only does it include optimizations, but it also includes timings reports.

Most commonly, I have found that chunk loading and entities in 1.14 are to blame for a majority of the lag.

If you can, please do the following and I would love to investigate the cause of lag on your server:

- Log on to your control panel, go to the Console module.
    - Play on your server until the issue begins to occur.
    - Type `timings on` and press Enter.
    - Wait for 30 seconds.
    - Type `timings paste` and press Enter.

You'll then get this message in your console: "View timings results can be viewed at (website address)." Copy / paste the website address into a reply to this ticket and we can further diagnose the problem for you.

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.

5. corn

corn New Member

I have updated to Spigot, for a while it remained lagless but once more people hopped on the lag started coming back. I was getting around the "Can't Keep Up!" messages with around 60,000ms. My timings are here: https://timings.spigotmc.org/?url=lejiwupipe

6. Kevin L

Administrator

Hey corn!

This appears to be due to chunk loading.
    1.14 does have a major issue with chunk loading and I believe this is your problem.

I would recommend using this plugin to pre-render parts of your server:
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/worldborder.60905/

To do this, create a small WorldBorder around your built-up areas.
    Once done, run this command to pre-generate the chunks in that world border:
    /wb [worldname] fill

We recommend only doing this on a small worldborder as otherwise, filling in a large worldborder can cause a massive amount of chunks to be generated which can actually cause memory issues with the world.

Please try that and let us know if that helps with your issue!

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.