Minecraft Vanilla 1.14 Java... massive lag spikes

Discussion in 'Community Knowledgebase' started by WarLordN1k, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WarLordN1k

WarLordN1k New Member

I am hosting a vanilla 1.14 server on the the villager plan. Now i use this same plan for a 1.13.2 spigot server. so lets make an apples to apples comparison. With just walking speed 2 players going in different directions not even rendering new chunks, can tank the TPS and cause huge lag backs on vanilla 1.14. however my 1.13.2 spigot server can have many players elytra fly and load new chunks and the tps never drops past 19 tps. I am thinking of upgrading the server to a higher tier plan but was testing a vanilla 1.14 server on my gaming computer with 16 gb allocated to the server and still get the same lag spikes and lag backs. still a bit better but idk if it is worth it. if any one has any ideas would love to talk. this is more of a letting the user base know i have had alot of performance issues with the newest version of java MC. Hope a performance patch comes out soon. thanks to the MC Pro for always running a rock solid service, and look forward to hytale ;)

2. Kevin L

Kevin L Client Relations Coordinator
    Administrator

Hey Warlord!

Thank you for bringing this up!
    We have found that 1.14 is actually quite unstable. There are many reports all over the internet of 1.14 causing this severe lag and rendering issues.

Spigot 1.14 recently released a new build geared towards helping with server lag.
    If possible, we'd recommend considering Spigot 1.14 as it is an optimized server type that still allows your server to run as Vanilla Minecraft and can help with server performance.

We're hoping that 1.14.1 releases soon as generally that is when the server type will become much more stable and will run without any issue.

If you're interested, we would love to take a look at your service to see if anything further can be done to help with this.
    If you are interested, private message me with your server IP address and account email and I would love to help you!

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.

3. WarLordN1k

WarLordN1k New Member

Thank you and you are welcome to look (will DM). I have been keeping an eye on the dev builds of spigot and have thought about going that route. this server is a whitelist server for the Dlive.tv minecraft community and most of the streamers would like to stay pure vanilla if posable.

4. Kevin L

Administrator

Hey Warlord!

Spigot would allow your server to remain a Vanilla server while still having those benefits of the optimization settings.
    If you are interested in giving Spigot a try, I would recommend taking a backup and then installing that.

If you found that Spigot wasn't fit for your server, you would be able to restore that latest backup to restore your server back to Vanilla 1.14.

Once you do send me a private message, if you're interested I would love to help you with the installation and testing.
    I look forward to hearing back from you!

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.

5. Bitzerker

Bitzerker New Member

Hey Kevin,

I am also curious about this and am having bad lag issues on my Vanilla 1.14 server.

I am thinking about giving Spigot 1.14 a whirl just for optimization purposes. However, I am not too familiar with Spigot.

Two questions (if you know the answer):

1. Is it possible to run a Spigot 1.14 server, and keep everything as if it was Vanilla 1.14?

2. Is it possible reverse the transition after I go to Spigot? (say, if Vanilla server 1.14.1 comes out, I would want to use that instead of Spigot)

Thanks!

6. Kevin L

Administrator

Hey Bitzerker!

Those are great questions!

1) Spigot does cause a few minor changes, such as splitting your overworld into three separate worlds, the overworld, a Nether world, and an End world. If you already have existing Nether and End worlds, Spigot will work to convert those to their own world. This actually makes it easier to use custom worlds on a server and to switch out the Nether and End if you had your own. This does not erase any data and your world would still be the exact same.

Along with that, mob spawning may slightly change. Spigot allows you to increase/decrease the mob spawn rate and range, so if you were to notice any issues these can be modified to help improve mob spawning.

Spigot also supports Minecraft plugins, but if you do not use plugins your server will still act as a Vanilla Minecraft server.

2) While it is possible, Vanilla doesn't convert your worlds back to normal.
    This means if you change to Spigot and then change back to Vanilla, your Nether and End worlds for your overworld would not link back together and this would cause your overworld to generate a new Nether and End. It is possible to rename the worlds and put them back within the overworld folder manually, but this does not always work.

I would advise taking a backup before making any changes. Spigot 1.14.1 should release only a few days after 1.14.1 releases, so if you do decide to switch to Spigot I would recommend waiting until Spigot 1.14.1 releases instead of switching back to Vanilla.

Spigot will overall run better and includes timings reports to help diagnose lag issues if they occur.
    If you need help installing Spigot, you can contact our support team through Live Chat or through a ticket and we can assist you!

Best Regards,
    Kevin L.

7. Bitzerker

Bitzerker New Member

Kevin,

Outstanding. This is so good to know. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WarLordN1k

WarLordN1k New Member

i do want to post an update. i am running the newest spigot jar now and it dose help. i did up grade to 4 gb of ram b4 i did the change to the server jar from vanilla. the ram helped only a small bit as we have up to 8 players and try to keep render dis server side as high as we can manage as this is a production server for live streamers. still have lag spikes mostly with nether portals and boats on ice high ways as they load chunks way to fast and peg the cpu. yes when the new 1.14.1 comes out with the massive bug fixes i will try in a test server b4 i go back to a full vanilla build. last point 4gb of ram is a bare min for 1.14 and cpu load is still high and many other 1.14 bugs feel free to msg me here or post in this thread. i check it ever few days